How do I live in peace?
Some background, some drama
Living in peace is about living harmoniously with yourself, others and all beings around you. While you will find your own meanings of peaceful existence and outward manifestations of a peaceful life according to your beliefs and lifestyle, there are some basics underpinning living in peace that cannot be overlooked, such as being non-violent, being tolerant, holding moderate views and celebrating wondrous-life.
Do’s and Don’ts
It’s important that you discover your journey to living in peace, a journey and way of life that ultimately only you can be responsible for. The “How Do I" series tries to list down a few Do’s and don’ts to guide and help you to live in peace.
- Seek to love and not control others. Ceasing to seek power over people and outcomes in your life is a major step to living peacefully.
- Learn the skills of negotiation, conflict resolution and assertive communication. These skills help you to avoid or effectively move through conflict with others.
- Moderate your convictions as holding on to convictions without considering the viewpoints and perspectives of others is to live a life without peace.
- Cultivate your sense of humour to release tension.
- Be tolerant to make a difference in your life and in the lives of others around you.
- Act with compassion towards others.
- Reflect on your thoughts. Reacting with care and consideration will result in much better outcomes for all concerned.
- Seek forgiveness, not revenge. Replace anger with forgiveness to seek the way of living peacefully.
- Find inner peace. Without inner peace, you'll feel in a constant state of conflict.
- Live in joy. Choosing to see the wonders of the world is an antidote to violence.
- Don’t order, moralise, demand, threaten or excessively needle which may give rise to conflict if they feel that you're trying to control them.
- Don’t jump to negative conclusions about other people. Instead, change your own perspective and nourish the good in others.
- Don’t make violence a part of your philosophy of living. Be peaceful.
- Don’t react with anger or violence if someone hurts you. Choose instead to respond peacefully.
- Don’t dwell on the excess. Cut back to the essentials and make conscious decisions about what improves your life.
- Don't self-sabotage your right to be happy.
Understand that living in peace is both an outward and an inward process. Outwardly, living in peace is a way of life in which we respect and love each other in spite of our cultural, religious and political differences. Inwardly, we all need to search our hearts and minds and understand the fear that causes the impulse to violence, for in continuing to ignore the rage within, the storm outside will never subside.