How do I stop worrying about everything and start living?
Some background, some drama
Worry. It starts with a nagging thought. That creates another few thoughts. And before you know it there is a storm brewing in your mind, making you think irrationally and zapping your mental and physical energy. Constant worrying creates chaos within the powerful negative effects it can have on life and the happiness in it.
Do’s and Don’ts
Constant, insistent worrying can be a bane to leading a happy and satisfied life. Worrying is often the root cause for people leading unfulfilled and miserable lives. The “How Do I" series tries to list down a few Do’s and don’ts to guide and help you to stop worrying about everything and start living.
- Reduce your collection and declutter. Less possessions means less stress and worry.
- Create a dedicated, assigned space for specific activities
- Set a budget to reduce worry and stress.
- Organize your time. Focus on maximizing your time rather than cramming as much as you can into one day.
- Cultivate empty moments and free time to relax. Drop everything and be alone with your thoughts.
- Take time to clear your head. Find half an hour to set aside for quiet meditation and reflection.
- Be rational. Make a conscious effort to focus your attention elsewhere, and let events take their course as best you can.
- Put your life in context.
- Exercise regularly. It really helps to calm down and worry less.
- Don't obsess about the future; focus on living in the present.
- Don’t over burden yourself with responsibilities. It’s okay to say no once in a way and take a break.
- Don’t get lost in vague fears and exaggerated worries and disaster scenarios.
- Don’t try to guess what is on someone’s mind. Trying to read someone’s mind usually doesn’t work too well at all. Instead, communicate.
- Don’t forget to take care of yourself. When you nurture your body and mind, it’s easier to put things in perspective.
- Don’t forget to relax and take time out from busy schedules.
A little worry is healthy. It keeps us thinking ahead and helps us prepare to work around unexpected misfortune. However, when you worry too much, you make your whole life miserable and burden yourself with a lot of unnecessary stress. Just learn how to get your worries under control and rekindle your lust for life.