How do I learn to relax?
Some background, some drama
We all need to relax. If only it were easy as it sounds! We daily abuse our bodies with stress and suffer the pain of overwork and over exhaustion. Instead of reducing our levels of stress to create tranquil work atmospheres, harmonious relationships and healthier home lives, we pride ourselves on just how much stress we can handle. Wake up. Smell the coffee! It’s high time we learn to relax.
Do’s and Don’ts
While the idea that relaxation is a skill that needs to be learned may strike some as odd, the fact remains that with today's demanding schedules and hectic paces, most people don't dedicate the time necessary to maintain their own mental well-being. The “How Do I" series tries to list down a few Do’s and don’ts to guide and help you to relax.
- First recognize stress. Obviously, some stress is good for us as it adds interest, excitement and motivation to life in the right balance. But avoid being too stressed.
- Set aside time to relax. Recognize the importance of sleep. Find the right combination of activities that relax you and rejuvenate your enthusiasm for living fully.
- Practice breathing techniques. This is always the easiest way to self-calm.
- Make healthy dietary choices. Eating well can help your body feel balanced and healthy.
- Exercise every day. This is the best-known, scientifically-proven way to significantly reduce stress.
- Practice positive thinking which is about making the most of the situations that you find yourself in and avoiding any tendency to add negative overlays.
- Practice meditation on a regular basis.
- Don’t allow destructive behaviour to escalate and sabotage your life and health.
- Don’t be competitive, frustrated and intense all the time. Life is too short to not enjoy a few laughs.
- Don't carry the world's weight on your shoulders.
- Don’t hesitate to disconnect. Put the phone back down, shut the email folder and walk away.
- Don’t act in anger, haste or irritation.
- Don’t interact with toxic personalities. Steer clear of negative people who are constantly miserable.
Knowing how to relax is vital for ensuring your health and well-being, as well as restoring the passion and joy in your life. Allowing stress to affect you can lead to depression, illness, weight gain and a general sense of malcontent. It’s up to you to get your anxiety under control and relax before it’s too late!